Applications accepted between 1 October 2019 and 6:00pm on17 January 2021.
Requirements: Applicants must submit an unedited recording of solo piano repertoire not exceeding 6 minutes.
A maximum of 30 pianists will be selected for the Preliminary Stage.
To be held on the 1 May 2021
Requirements: A programme of solo piano music not exceeding 10 minutes, to include a work composed before 1828.
5 pianists will be admitted to the Final Stage.
To be held on the 2 May 2021
Requirements: A programme of solo piano music not exceeding 15 minutes to include a work composed after 1950. One piece performed in the Preliminary Stage (up to 5 minutes duration) may be included.
- All competitions are open to pianists of any nationality.
- Pianists can only compete in either the Junior or Senior Solo Category. However solo competitors can also compete in the accompanist category but need to pay the relevant application fees for both categories.
- The decisions of the jury are final and binding and cannot be challenged. The competition organisers reserve the right not to award prizes or to reduce the number of competitors to appear in the final stage if the standard is not sufficiently high in the opinion of a majority of the members of the jury.
- Before the Festival commences, competitors names will be drawn by an independent panel to decide on the order of performance. This order will then be followed at every stage.
- Recording for Solo competitions should be a recent unedited film or audio recording, and must be submitted electronically by providing a link for us to download or view the recording on an online file sharing service e.g. WeTransfer, Dropbox, YouTube, etc. (Where relevant please ensure that the correct file sharing permissions have been granted to enable us to view/download the file).
- The recording should be accompanied by a letter of recommendation from the competitor’s current or most recent teacher. There is no need to submit a recording for the piano accompaniment category however a letter of recommendation must be submitted with the application.
- Entries will be accepted from the 1 October 2019. The deadline for receiving entries and recordings is 6:00pm on 17 January 2021.
- Entry fees: Junior Piano Solo Competition: £30; Senior Piano Solo Competition and the Competition for Accompanists: £40. This includes entry to all festival events and concerts apart from John Lill’s recital.
- 75% of the registration fee will be refunded to competitors not admitted to the Preliminary stage of the Junior and Senior Piano Solo Competition.
- Competitors selected to progress to the Preliminary stage of the competitions will be informed no later than the 8 February 2021.
- If a competitor pulls out of the competition for any reason, registration fees will not be refunded.
- First Prize: £700
- Second Prize: £300
- 3 other finalists: £100 each
- Special prize for the most promising pianist not admitted to the Final Round: £100
How to Apply
The closing date for applications is 17 January at 6:00pm. Please refer to the ‘Rules’ section for further information regarding the application process.